Write a review
- 5 dried shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup rice wine
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 oz dried bean thread noodles (approximately 2 bundles)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 lb traditional seitan
- 1/3 cup extra firm fried tofu, cut into matchsticks
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz fresh, thin, round egg noodles
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced
- 2 small limes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Place dried shiitake mushrooms in a bowl with rice wine and hot water. Soak for 15-20 minutes until softened.
- 2. Remove mushrooms from bowl, reserving the soaking liquid. Slice mushrooms thinly and set aside.
- 3. Soak the bean thread noodles in warm water for 5 minutes until softened. Drain water and set noodles aside.
- 4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 5. Sauté onion, garlic, and ginger for 1 minute, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- 6. Add seitan and tofu into the pan. Stir until fragrant and incorporated.
- 7. Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vegetable stock, sliced mushrooms, mushroom soaking liquid, and black pepper.
- 8. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9. Add the eggs noodles and bean thread noodles, making sure that they are completely submerged in the liquid. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until noodles are tender.
- 10. Drizzle sesame oil and stir into noodles.
- 11. Add carrots, celery, and Napa cabbage. Cover to steam for 2 minutes
- 12. Toss all ingredients together so that they are well combined.
- Garnish with sliced green onion, serve with lime and cilantro on the side to season.
Inside the Artist's Kitchen http://insidetheartistskitchen.com/blog/