Liz lives in the sunniest house I’ve ever seen. It seems a little like time stands still when the sun flows in. It certainly makes for a lovely spring dinner hour with the breeze billowing through and the sun shining. The space is dotted with art and rescued furniture pieces that a former roommate took pity on and restored.
Liz’s show Partitions was one of Comfort Station’s few winter shows this February. We saw it during this year’s 2nd Floor Rear festival. It’s kind of funny because I speak about Liz’s work during our Comfort Station Board interview. I didn’t know they were made by this Liz, and now we’ve been in her kitchen.
You should definitely give her Hippie Mash a try, or feel free to conjure up your very own. The recipe is easy to mix up to your own tastes.
- 1 bunch Kale
- 2 lemons
- Olive Oil
- 1) Rinse and chop leaves off stems
- 2) Juice lemons and pour over kale
- 3) Massage lemon juice in by hand for about 2 minutes
- 4) Toss with olive oil, salt, almonds and parmesan to taste
- 3 Beets
- 3 Turnips
- 1 Can white beans
- 1) Peel and cube beets and turnips, place in large roasting pan
- 2) Rinse white beans
- 3) Combine beets and turnips with olive oil and place in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- 4) Check the beets and stir in the beans and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes
- Serve with massaged kale salad!
- Also serve with wild rice