Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Edra's infamous cake!
Write a review
For the Cake
- 1 Box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/4 C pineapple juice strained from pineapple's can
- 1/2 C butter at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the topping
- 1/2 C packed brown sugar
- 9-15 slices of pineapple from 2 - 14oz cans
- 9-15 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9" inch baking pan.
- 3. Arrange a piece of parchment paper cut to size inside the pan.
- 4. Apply more butter to the topside. Then coat with the brown sugar.
- 5. Arrange the pineapple rings to cover the bottom and sides of the pan.
- 6. Place a cherry inside each of the pineapple rings.
For the cake batter
- 1. Place the cake mix inside of a large mixing bowl.
- 2. Add pineapple juice, butter, eggs, cinnamon, and 1/2tsp vanilla.
- 3. Mix with a mixer, hand mixer or spoon until combined.
- 4. Pour 1/2 of the batter, about 2 cups, into the prepared pan.
- 5. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6. Immediately place a heat safe plate or tray over the pan and flip over to remove.
- 7. Let sit for a moment so that the brown sugar mixture has a chance to drizzle over the cake.
- 8. Remove from pan.
- 9. Eat!
- You can make a second cake out the left over batter, if you desire.
- Edra usually makes a 5 tier version of this cake, which uses just under 8 boxes of mix. Which would mean multiplying this recipe by 8. She has scaled it down here for one 9 inch cake.
Inside the Artist's Kitchen http://insidetheartistskitchen.com/blog/